In light of the outbreak of the COVID-19 infection around the world and the recent spread into LA County and the San Gabriel Valley, I, Pastor Matt Barnes, am going to oversee the execution the actions listed below:
- We will make every effort to protect, provide for, and help those who are most vulnerable, specifically the elderly, those with underlying medical conditions, and those with limited resources.
- In response to the "Gathering Guidelines" provided by the California Department of Public Health and endorsed by California's governor, we will be canceling our in-person, gathered worship services for the foreseeable future.
- Also, in response to the "Gathering Guidelines," we will be canceling our normal, meetings for Bible study, Sunday school, small groups, and the like which meet on campus for the foreseeable future.
- Other gatherings on campus will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Proactively, we will be exploring options to maintain the creation and distribution of helpful spiritual content through virtual gathered worship, online devotionals, mass mailers, online small groups, and the like.
- Proactively, we will be working closely with Northrup School, AUSD, Catalyst SGV, the City of Alhambra, and others to find ways to be of service to our community through activities such as providing groceries for those in need, helping people access healthcare where possible, and the like.
- Proactively, we will find ways to stay in close contact with members and attenders of our church who have been advised to stay home, such as those who are ill, the elderly, and the like.
- Proactively, we will encourage the people of FBCA who are able and healthy to reach out to their immediate neighbors to see if there is a way that we can be of service, while also coordinating with the church office if there are unwieldy financial requirements involved in serving their neighbors.
- Lastly, we will communicate the need for our members and attenders to continue to contribute to the financial well-being of FBCA since our personnel and administrative needs will continue through this outbreak and we may incur new expenses as we attempt to be and share the good news of Jesus with the people of Alhambra.
While I know that these measures may feel unnecessary or even extreme, the goal behind them is twofold - 1) To participate in the care and protection of the most vulnerable among us; and 2) To be and share the good news of Jesus among the people of Alhambra and beyond. Lastly, when we are able to host a worshipful and hospitable in-person service, we will do so. Until then, please continue to worship with us online!
Pastor Matt Barnes
"I lift up my eyes to the mountains-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." (Psalm 121.1-2)